Thursday, April 9, 2009

“Everything has a beat!”

As the church bus pulled away from the last drop off, Sarah, a teen bus worker, was bemoaning her church’s criticism of rock ‘n roll. “Everything has a beat!” she declared to the driver and his wife. She then broke into her syncopated, stylized version of Jesus Loves Me. “Serious Christians don’t sing rock”, the couple said. But Sarah Duffy and her beat would not be stifled.
CU was her college home where she majored in psychology and accounting. She now works for Colorado PERA. Son, Andrew, is in college and Sarah finds herself working two jobs and taking on more responsibility at Discovery Church.
How would you describe your experience at Discovery Church?
“Climbing foothills. I’ve never felt judged at all at Discovery. That has enabled me to journey with God. Joining a small group and digging into the Bible is important. I find that I’m drawn to people who are grounded in their faith. People took my son under their wings.”
Sarah was first asked to take over the books and was advised to develop a Discovery finance team. Steve Cuss came and wanted an administrative assistant which helped. Sarah started recruiting people to help with finances and HR work.
“I’m not afraid to ask people to do things. I don’t have many fears. I don’t know if it’s pride, overconfidence, or trust in God. I think fear is not knowing what God wants.”
What keeps her refreshed?
“Serving. Sunday mornings are important because worshipping with the community of believers is refreshing. I love to research things in the Bible. Dry spells come when I haven’t been praying or become too inward. When I pray I rededicate myself. Looking outward is looking through God’s eyes. Don’t dwell on yourself.”
Sarah is leading the Financial Peace University course by Dave Ramsey. How did she get involved?
“I needed the course myself. I love Star Trek. They don’t have money. But, that’s not the way it is.”
Sarah did some budget courses and likes Dave Ramsey’s course the best.
Why don’t more people sign up? It could help so many?
“Denial! Most people think that if they can make their monthly payments they’re O.K. It also involves time – a 12-week commitment. The issue is behavior and not knowledge. The course helps us take baby steps doing the things we ought to do to be financially free.”
What of Sarah’s future?
“Get financially free. Develop a mentoring relationship with a Christian woman. I would like to serve God full time.”

Ah! Can you feel the beat?

No comments:

Post a Comment