Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"We were looking for a church that takes transformation seriously."


Transformed. Global.


After a summer at the South Pole during college, Greg Loring was assigned to work in Denver. Worshipping at Littleton Bible Chapel he met Renae, a UNC graduate and school teacher who was going to Ecuador to teach in a mission school. They first dated on Memorial Day. She left for South America on July 18th. They were married on July 19th the following year.


When did you become a Christ follower?


Greg: As a high school freshman I went with my parents to an Amway motivational weekend seminar. Inspired by a former Baptist minister on Sunday I made a commitment during an altar call. The first person I told was my Dad.


Renae: I made a commitment to Christ when I was 5. My Christian parents nurtured me. I struggled with my faith in high school and during my freshman year in college.


God delayed my longstanding prayer for a mentor until my sophomore year. Then many women came into my life to encourage and help me define what faith means. They confirmed my gift for women’s work and suggested I learn about mentoring. I eventually was put in charge of the women’s mentoring program at Grace Chapel. It was as if God had provided mentors for my life and was now saying, “You do it.”


What brought you to Discovery Church?


Greg: The drive to our old church from Thornton was long and our children needed a fresh program.


Renae: We were taking classes in Spiritual Formation at Denver Seminary and met Tim Daly who invited us.


What do you like about Discovery?


Renae: The children’s program really met our kid’s needs.


Greg: Our life group is important. We share a commitment to live life together with them.


Renae: We love watching God do amazing things in people’s lives. We love Steve and Lisa.


How has your faith fleshed out in service at Discovery?


Renae: The children’s department and women’s ministry have been important.


Greg: I’ve helped usher. We’ve hosted Life Groups.


You supervise the Global Partners program. Tell me about it.


Renae: Dan Reich helped get it going. We select an advocate for each of our global partners. They bring the heart and life of the mission field to Discovery and convey the heart and life of our church to our global partner. It’s important because this is the heartbeat of God for all nations.


Greg: We’d love to involve families – our children’s ministry – in this. We’d like to do family mission trips.


We were looking for a church that takes transformation seriously. We’ve got to be different – growing in character and connection to Christ. We learned that we are “transformed together” through community. That’s Discovery Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment