Wednesday, January 27, 2010

“By the grace of God, I am what I am”

Chris & Beth Cuilla

They met when Beth hired Chris to work in a men’s clothing store while he was attending Northern Illinois University. They later married and moved to Colorado when Chris, a software engineer got a job offer. Katlyn and Erika complete their family.

When did you decide to follow Jesus Christ?

Chris: During my college years, I rebelled against my conservative Lutheran background. Our move to Denver introduced me to Tom, a Christian co-worker. Over time he coached/mentored me to begin a spiritual walk. Meanwhile Katlyn was asking questions about church. We started attending Riverside Baptist Church.

Beth: I was skeptical and thought Chris was going off the deep end. My grandparents had a strong faith and I had warm memories of them even as a toddler. But my father was anti-church and my family had a bad experience with judgmental attitudes, so we didn’t attend church. When Chris was starting his spiritual journey, we saw the late Reggie White, NFL Defensive End, speak of playing while injured. He said, “I’ve prayed about it and God said it would be fine.” Chris said, “Maybe there is something to this God stuff.”

Chris: I committed my life to Christ in a restaurant.”

Beth: I could sense the Holy Spirit’s presence that night. I committed my life to Jesus the following Sunday. We were both baptized soon after.

What brought you to Discovery Church?

Beth: A yellow mailer with a classic Cadillac on it convinced us Discovery must be a different sort of Church.

What is appealing about the church?

Both: It vibes authenticity and sincerity. It is centered on the person of Jesus Christ. They have respect for everyone’s distinct experience/journey to a relationship with God.

What’s difficult in the Christian life?

Beth: Everything! Rearing children to have a life and faith of their own.

Chris: Developing ways to serve God as a software engineer.

How do you keep yourselves refreshed?

Chris: Writing new software. When I’m creative, maybe I’m participating with God in the creative process.

Beth: I’m refreshed when I enjoy my marriage.

What advice would you offer to new Christians?

Chris: Continue to get close to people for mutual support. Be yourself. You are wired in a special way.

Beth: We must teach our children to look at themselves as a marvel. They are unique and must respect differences in others.

What is your favorite Scripture?

Chris: Proverbs 3:5,6 – “Trust in the Lord with all your heart….”

Beth: 1 Corinthians 15:10 – “But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment